Wednesday, April 27, 2011

-A journey to us.......




-A journey to us..... is a SAORI artwork inspired by the stripes of my son Lorenzo Diandrea. After eight months of weaving large wide bands of color, filled with thick clumps of roving, Lorenzo spontaneously began to weave thinner stripes. While winding the bobbin, Lorenzo was very specific in his verbal prompt to "cut with scissors." Midway through his work his verbal prompt while winding thread became "Stop, (winding the bobbin) I want to cut with scissors." SAORI once again has its way of inspiring expression-artistic expression and expressive language. With inspiration from Lorenzo's stripe work I was driven to create with stripes. As I worked I reflected on my journey as Lorenzo's mother. I recalled our most difficult days and our most treasured memories and I could not help but smile at how Lorenzo has inspired "a journey to us." 

As of June 1, 2011 Lorenzo and I will move our SAORI weaving studio from our home to Farmstead Arts, 450 King George Road, Basking Ridge NJ. http://www.farmsteadartscenter.com/The Farmstead will not only offer us a community of artists to share and learn alongside, but as artists in residency at the Farmstead we will create a space where adults and children of all abilities can experience SAORI to express oneself freely regardless of age, gender, disability or intellectual aptitude. 

We look forward to establishing a community of weavers, advocates and friends who share in our vision that the arts have the power to weave each of us into a united community. A society that embraces our difference not as a disease,  a tragedy, or a misfortune, but as a difference of mind or body, a meaningful way of life.   

SAORI PRINCIPLE # 1: Let's Venture Beyond Our Imagination! 



1 comment:

  1. I'd love to make this a project at school!!!!! Perhaps we can meet this summer to discuss? Ms. Greeley

    ReplyDelete